Call to Schedule an Appointment

What is Contempt of Court Used for in an Indiana Divorce?

One of the line items in a divorce proceeding when children are involved is developing an agreement on parenting time and custody. When all aspects of your divorce are agreed upon and settled, you expect that the guidelines of your divorce will be followed appropriately by your ex. Sometimes, one party is uncooperative with the terms of the divorce. This situation is not the outcome that any person wants to deal with, and it can be disheartening and infuriating.

If your ex is ignoring the terms of your divorce agreement, you have options to fight back and compel them to behave appropriately per your settlement. To learn more about your options and how to proceed, you should speak with a licensed legal professional. Christopher L. Arrington is an Indiana divorce attorney who can take the stressful burden of the judicial process off of your plate. Committed to providing customized and high-quality legal services, Christopher L. Arrington can help you with every aspect of your Indiana divorce.

How Does Contempt of Court Work in Indiana?

When your ex is not following the terms of your Indiana divorce agreement, you can use the courts to remedy the situation. Filing contempt of court orders is one way to get your ex to satisfy the terms of your divorce settlement. However, because of the seriousness of contempt of court, you should only pursue this route when necessary. Contempt of court orders can easily take a fairly cordial relationship between you and your ex and turn it into a contentious and quarrelsome one. If your relationship is already combative, contempt of court will certainly elevate the hostility, and this could easily affect the well-being of your children.

It is important to discuss your situation with your Indiana divorce lawyer to learn about what steps you can take to get your ex to work with you and follow the orders outlined in your divorce settlement. If it is true that the best path forward is to file contempt of court orders in Indiana, then you will need the evidence to back up your claims of custody violations. Examples of evidence that would be admitted into a court and cause a judge to rule in favor of contempt include:

  • One parent is not abiding by the parenting time plan that is outlined in the agreement. This parent refuses to give the other parent their lawful time with the children.
  • A non-custodial parent failing to return the children back to the custodial parent.
  • Not paying court-ordered child support without reasonable justification.
  • Violating the terms of a restraining order.

Meet With an Indiana Divorce Attorney Today

The decision to file Indiana contempt of court orders is not something to take lightly. You can discuss the specific details of your situation with Christopher L. Arrington to get more information about what the right actions are for you. Penalties for contempt of court could include financial punishments as well as time in jail. Call Christopher L. Arrington today to speak with a knowledgeable Danville family law attorney during a free consultation at (317) 745-4494.

« Back to Arrington Law Help Center